It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:56 pm 

Anybody know of an effiecent way to grind grain for lawn fertalizer, like
corn. I've tried the cracked corn, but the grackles sure do love it & I don't want to pay the prices for hort. cornmeal...

Would Wall-mart allow me to load a 50 lb bag of corn into there coffee grinder. :)

If someone knows of a grinder that can handle grain, please send a note.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:38 pm 

How about trying local grain elevators or feed stores. Tell them it is for your animals feed. You might get lucky and they will grind it for free. Or if you buy the corn from them, they might do it as a favor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:33 pm 

Those who live near livestock operations or dairies which grind their own feed might be able to talk the owners into running a couple of bushels of corn through their ginder for you if you'd pay them for their trouble. (Or maybe buy a piece from the ground corn that they buy from a mill, if it's ground fine enough and it's pure grain.) They probably wouldn't want to start the machinery only for such a small run, so it might have to be done when they run a load. Obviously, you probably wouldn't want the antibiotics and other junk that they might mix in their feed, so you'd want a fairly clean segregated batch. I can't say it necessarily would be a big cost saving, although you might be able to start with whole shelled corn rather than the more expensive cracked corn, but it might be a convenience issue for some.
It wouldn't seem that small capacity masa-type grinders would be very cost effective, but maybe it would be if you found one at auction. I have wondered if a chipper-shredder could be set fine enough to grind corn beyond a cracked state, but I can imagine some operational snafus. Y2K probably generated a few unused grain grinders that might end up on auctions/yard sales. It isn't unusual to see one on eBay, such as this one that is active as of the date of this post:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=11754