It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:00 am 

I read that Button quail are sometimes used in China to control insects in greenhouses. They are much smaller than Bob White quail.

We released two pair in our 8x20 greenhouse about a year ago and they have been doing a good job and seem happy in their environment. I was afraid they would fly out when we open the door, but they mostly stay on the pea-gravel floor and run under the benches when we come in. Then they wander out while I am watering and I have to be careful not to let the heavy coiled hose bump into them as they peck between the gravel.

One of them hatched two chicks which looked like bumblebees running around behind the mother. But a week or two later they died, apparently from fire ants.

A mouse dug under the foundation, apparently attracted by the grain feeder. I trapped one, but there are probably others. I can't have a cat on patrol outside, because we live on a busy highway. Any other ideas on how to repel mice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:36 am 

One of my professors had cats on his ranch to keep rattlesnakes at bay. Eventually he had a crowd of cats that were smart enough to keep from getting bitten. So I was going to suggest getting cat after cat until you got one smart enough to not wander on the highway, but you have quail to protect so cats are out of the question. Traps are probably your best bet. They work very well.

Wouldn't the quail be happier on a compost floor or sawdust?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:14 am 

Thanks for the great ideas!

My greenhouse has a small planting bed at ground level, where the quail can scratch around, so I will add more mulch to that. I don't want to cover the pea gravel, because we plan to move this summer. If the new owner is not a gardener, the greenhouse could be used for a hot tub or sun bathing, etc.

Do you think a couple of laying chickens could be kept on a compost floor in my next greenhouse? I think plenty of carbon matter would eliminate odor, but wonder if they would damage the plants. So far, the quail have only been interested in a pot of purslane which I am glad for them to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:37 am 

Well, I don't know about chickens eating your plants. Plants on the floor are fair game. You might consider growing a grass or clover floor under tables. Any grasses or legumes that grow should be good. The chickens can graze on that in addition to their feed. Maybe better still is to let the chickens out into your yard to catch snails, caterpillars, and other buggies during the day. Then lock them in the greenhouse at night. Half fill a couple of 5-gallon buckets with straw or hay for the chickens to roost in. Bring in some sawdust or compost every week to cover the poop and you should have no smell at all. This will build your floor up and you'll eventually have to lower it again. But all that stuff you take out will be excellent compost.

Another possibility is laying ducks. Khaki Campbell ducks were bred to be layers and will out perform most chickens at over 300 eggs per year. Ducks will keep the insects and snails out of the garden, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:15 pm 

Wow, this is a fascinating topic. Do ya'll think it would be crazy to try and find someone with ducks or chickens for rent? I would love to bring them into my yards for a couple of days a month. Wouldn't they provide some sense of aeration too? Ooh, and all that chicken poop in the yard surely must be good for the soil too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:49 pm 

I have heard of someone renting a goat to clear out poison ivy, but I don't think you could keep a visiting chicken or duck from getting away.

My grandmother had a pet bantam which would patrol her yard and garden with her. She would use her cane to flip over a brick or small block of wood, and "Tootsie" would clean up whatever they found. She didn't have a fence, but the chicken didn't wander away.