It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:59 am 

:D My name is LaDonna and I am from Southeast Oklahoma. I love gardening. (Vegetables). I also enjoy canning and freezing. I was given this website by a relative and I have really enjoyed reading and learning from it. I have two daughters (teenange) :? 4 cats :shock: and a husband. My husband also enjoyes gardening but he tends to like the flowers and trees best. I also have birds in my backyard I enjoy feeding and watching. :) We have lots of cardnals, chickadees, doves, wrens, finches, and my favorite are the bluebirds. Everyone pulls their load in the garden, my husband gets it ready and helps me get it planted, the daughters help gather and do lots of fetching and cleanups, the cats, they lay out and soak up sun or keep cool on the porch. The birds collect lots of insects and the critters do also, and I allow them a nibble here and there. I sometimes have to remind the cats that the birds in the yard are not for catching. I have a b-b gun that keeps them in line. :wink: I had tried everything under the sun, vinegar spray, pepper spray, hose down with water, ..nothing worked :twisted: until we purchased that low powered daisy b-b gun. :) If anyone else has this problem, let me assure you it works. Now all we have to do is rattle that gun and they are on the move. We seldom have any problems anymore, most of the cats are grown, fat and lazy.
Gardening and canning is so rewarding in the end and I think that the more I learn about the compost and compost teas will just be that more enjoyable. :D

Last edited by lplott on Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:06 am 

Welcome to the Organic Forum.
Sounds like you and your family have a full life up in Oklahoma. I would love to have a yard like yours. Down here I have to chase the grashoppers with a 2X4, to keep them out of the garden (LOL)
Seriously, I have not heard of the problem before, but maybe some one will have a solution for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:32 pm 
are you referring to the cats and birds? I really don't have a problem now that I have the b-b gun. :D The cats are good to catch mice and stuff, or at least one of them will hunt (ha). I used to have problems with them aggravating and catching birds, but really since we shot them a few times, they don't bother the birds much. Like I said, that one little gun took care of the troubles.

Post subject: B-B Gun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:47 pm 

Hi LaDonna and welcome to the BB.

Personally, I've no problem with use of a B-B gun to help bring order to a bad situation.

I would hope however, that the B-B gun is not pump or gas operated but rather a single lever spring load model much like the old RedRider. The power is much less than with the pump up or gas models.

Also, I would be sure to aim for the hind-quarters to minimize injuries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:15 am 

My husband does most of the shooting. Its a low powered little gun, a little daisy. Golden Rule, NEVER shoot if they are looking your way, and only aim for the hind side.

I love my cats very much, but I also love my little birds. After we popped the cats a time or two they learned not to bother the birds at my feeders or in the yard. Its not a pump or gas powered gun or anything like that. My feeders are about 30 feet out.

I had tried all the customary cat disciplines, and nothing worked. I think cats seem to be prideful animals and when they do somthing and can get away without punishment they think....ha ha ha... but when you can actually catch and punish them in the act it hurts their pride and they stop. Now my cats do not bother my birds and if they are near the feeders, then I just kinda shake that little gun at them and their fur flies. Also, when they did get shot a time or two, I always checked them over to make sure there was no puncture wound.

Post subject: BB Pop
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:25 pm 

I think you've taken all the precausions necessary in particular the 30 foot rule. I miss my old Dasiy Red Rider.