It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:01 am 

Hi- I just saw Howard on Channel 8. I am in the middle of a career shift and am exploring. I have always enjoyed being creative in the landscape. I "caught" the bug from my grandmother whose property looked like a botanical gardens and I learned how hard work, a creative mind and a green thumb can embellish natural beauty. Several years ago I took a Horticulture class taught by Henry Painter who was director of the FW Botanical Gardens.
Is there anyway possible a not-so-young guy can become a landscape desinger/architect without having to move for training and do this? I need to be on the fast track!!!

Post subject: New Guy in the West
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:38 pm 

Look on the business section of this website and see if you can get on with one of the landscapers that does organic/natural work in the area where you live. That's the best advice I can give, for what it's worth.

Landscape architect is a degree you have to earn from a university. I believe, but don't hold my feet to this fire, that the University of Texas at Arlington awards such a degree but you would be best at calling them!
Landscapers can take a few courses from the extension service, put a shingle on their door and go to work. But there's a lot of landscapers out there with good credentials who will give you stiff competition.

Good luck and welcome to our world. It's nice & green here.
:D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:39 pm 

Hello and Welcome to the Forum PK.

Where in the woods is West of Woodcat :?:

Your profile is lacking some needed information. You can add an automatic signature and location in your profile set-up.

Good advise from Kathy K. on the subject. Do you have a local Jr. College near by? Some have non-credit programs available. Find work in a good organic nursary to learn all the plants and care for same.

I've seen some computer programs where you can make landscape layouts, used by many landscapers.

Remember, landscapeing is more than plants, it also includes walkway materials and such.

Many large Landscape Co's have maintenance crews the take care of the really nice yards that have been designed for the owner. From there you can make good observations.

Good luck on your new indever. Stay in touch and let us know now things are working for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:49 pm 

There is a terminal degree at UTA, an M.L.A., masters in landscape architecture. You'll find the web pages at http://www.uta.edu/gradcatalog/landscape

Northwesterner