It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:06 pm 

it's the novice again...who knows the best Dallas area place to get a bunch of good quality potting soil for my container vegetables this spring? :?:

Post subject: BUYING STUFF
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:03 pm 

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1142

Since I don't live in your area, the best I can do is refer you to the link above. Hope it helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:41 am 

I sell homemade compost in bulk, or by the 50 lb bags, here in Central Alabama, for anyone who is interested!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:07 pm 

Captain,
Would pure compost make a good potting soil, or should it be mixed with dirt? I, like Katlady, am looking for a good potting soil to use for container growing until I plant them outside in the garden. Last year I purchased potting soil from a nursery, but found it to be a bit expensive, so this year I thought I would mix my own. I start plants from seed then when about 2 - 3 inches tall I transplant them in sawed off milk cartons. Works good until It gets warm enough to plant in the garden. Yes they take up quite a bit of room in the hiouse, but that is ok as long as the cat stays out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:33 pm 

100% pure Leaf Mold, or a mostly leaf based compost, has a low enough available nitrogen level, that it can be used full strength as a potting mix with no problems. I use a leaf based compost in small peat pots for seedlings in my greenhouse.

All my large compost piles have about 75% hores manure/sawdust, and a lot of grass clippings and fish scraps in it. Too rich in available nitrogen to use as a 100% potting mix, without blending in some other potting ingredient, like perlite , etc.

You might want to try chopping up a bunch of dried leaves with a blender or lawn mower, then using this fine, ground, mixture as a potting mix for container plants or seedlings. Remember to add a little limestone or bone meal to the uncomposted leaves mixture, to reduce acidity, and add calcium to the potting mix.

Compost made from greens and browns tend to have a near neutral pH due to the aerobic bacteria and fungi in it. Pure 100% leaf mold usually has an acidic pH, due to the strong fungi used to digest the leaves in the organic matter.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:08 pm 

Captain,
Thanks for the reply. My compost consists of about 95% grass clippings and kitchen scrapes. I also add fresh sea weed along with dried molasses, then let it cook. Guess I will mix it with other ingredients per your post.
Again, thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:42 am 

katlady,

Did you find your potting soil?

I'm in the Dallas area and looking for pure perlite. I've gone through the various lists here, but didn't find any mention of perlite. Only 2 hits on 'perlite' when doing a search.

I probably just need to do some telephone searching with the directories, here.

monk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:55 pm 

Personally I think any potting soil is okay. Wal*Mart has it pretty cheap. Just be sure you're not getting it spiked with fertilizers. You want to do all the spiking yourself - with compost, protein based fertilizers, rock dusts, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:17 am 

I have to disagree with the idea of Wal-Mart potting soil...I lived in Nacogdoches during my college years and was pretty much limited to only Walmart's potting soil and frankly I thought it was terrible.

My all time, hands down favorite potting soil is GreenSense....it is no doubt a bit odiferous, but I can attest to the fact that plants simply thrive in it...and I did do a comparison with some other potting soils - the others didn't hold a candle. I don't know if it is avaiable in bulk, but it is worth giving Greg Rohde a call about - 972-864-1934 - Rohde's is in Garland.